For those looking for a Barclays credit card, we have put together the best list of Barclays credit card bonuses and welcome offers right here for you on BankCheckingSavings.
Headquartered in London, England, Barclays is well known for their multinational investment bank and financial services. They may be new to the U.S. credit card market, but they won’t let you down. In fact, they’re one of the most financially stable institutions in the world.
Barclays’ credit cards support chip and PIN functionality. This is a really useful perk for individuals that frequently travel international.
Barclays offers both MasterCard and Visa cards along with partners from airlines, such as US Airways, Lufthansa, and Frontier Airlines to offer generous rewards and great bonuses. Check them all out below.
Things You Should Know About Barclays
- Barclays almost always pulls the TransUnion credit bureau. This can be a huge plus for you. TransUnion isn’t frequently used as opposed to Experian and Equifax. Therefore, you may be able to spread your hard pulls between the three main credit bureaus. However, it depends on where you live.
- You can get sign up bonuses on cards more than once. Unlike American Express credit cards, Barclays credit cards are churnable. If you get approved for a card, you’ll receive the welcome bonus. But, to get the card approved, you’ll need to have cancelled your old one at least six months prior.
- There’s a no annual fee version for most Barclays credit cards. Many credit cards aren’t worth keeping after you’ve received the welcome bonus after the first year. Barclays allows you to downgrade your current credit card with an annual fee to one of the no annual fee versions. This could also be an option if you want to increase your average age of your accounts.
- There’s no maximum amount of credit cards you can have with Barclays. Be sure to wait six months in between new applications. In addition, it’s a good idea to also put spend through any existing Barclays credit cards before applying for a new one.
- The time your minimum spend must be met begins as soon as your card is approved.
- Check your credit card application status online. Receive instant feedback without having to drearily wait each day for the approval letter to come in.
- It’s very uncommon for them to match-up with a higher bonus, but It’s definitely worth a call.
- If you’re an existing cardholder applying for a new Barclays card and you get denied, they’ll usually only conduct a soft pull. This is because they’ll usually check the credit report they already have on file for you. However, if there’s a significant change in your report, they will still conduct a hard pull.
- Get ready to receive plenty of targeted spending offers. Barclays sends a lot of spending offers through email or snail mail. Offers generally include spending a certain amount to receive points/miles and bonus points in different categories.
- Retention offers vary. You can waive the annual fee on some cards, and sometimes you can’t. Though, Barclays does send out a good amount of targeted spending offers as noted above.
- Expedite your credit card for a $15 fee (YMMV). This fee can sometimes be waived with a valid reason if you talk to appropriate customer service representatives.
- Barclays branded card sign up bonuses will post with the transactions that meet the minimum spending requirements. An example would be the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®. On the other hand, their co-branded cards, like the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®, will post after the statement closes.
- Call for reconsideration if you’re declined a Barclays credit card. You may be approved after they ask some basic questions. Make sure you have a valid reason for wanting the card, for example, a unique feature that the card offers. In addition, know your credit score and report, as different cards require different scores.
- No instant credit card number. Unfortunately, you can’t use your card as soon as possible for online purchases to rack up your bonus points/miles. You’ll have to wait until you get it in the mail in order to use it.
- Distributing credit between cards is tricky. Barclays is more likely to offer this when you open a new card or close an old card. It’ll be a soft pull.
- Your annual fee can be refunded. Just cancel your card within 60 days that the annual fee has been posted.
- Barclays offers credit limit increases on a regular basis. However, if you initiate one yourself, it’ll result in a hard pull. Make sure you ask beforehand. Most customer service representatives will process this as a soft pull inquiry.
- Pre-approved offers can be viewed online. They don’t usually offer any higher bonuses with the offers online though.
- Hard inquiries will be merged for multiple Barclays card applications. All of your applications must be made on the same day. Usually only one will be auto-approved, up to three cards. Though, it can be hard to get multiple cards approved.
- Change your statement closing date. Just call the number on the back of your card.
- Balances of under $1 can usually be waived.
- Barclays reports your statement balance to credit bureaus for your credit utilization rate. Pay your credit card before your statement closes to lower your credit utilization rate.
- No public referral programs. Unfortunately, you can gain points, miles, or cash back for referring your friends.
Best Barclays Credit Cards
|With the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®:
-Enjoy 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days
-Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
-Book travel your way—no airline, seat or hotel restrictions—and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
-Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
-No foreign transaction fees
-International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
-Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
|With the Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard®:
-Enjoy a 0% intro APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that, a variable 14.24% APR will apply
-Low 14.24% variable APR on purchases and cash advances
-No annual fee
-No foreign transaction fees
-International Chip and PIN
Other Barclays Credit Cards
|Barclaycards||Bonus/Key Features||Spending Requirement/Terms||Annual Fee||Review|
|Barclaycard Aadvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard||60K bonus miles||Make first purchase in 3 months||$95||Review|
|Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard®||40K Miles/$400 Statement Credit||$3,000 in 90 days||$0 for 1st year, then $89||Review|
|BarclayCard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard®||50,000 Bonus||First purchase||$95||Review|
|AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®||$195||Review|
|Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®||40K Miles||$500 in 3 months||$69||Review|
|Barclaycard Lufthansa Miles & More® World Elite MasterCard®||60K Miles||$5,000 in 3 months||$89||Review|
|Barclaycard Lufthansa Miles & More® World Elite MasterCard®||50K Miles||$5,000 in 3 months||$89||Review|
|Barclaycard Wyndham Rewards||30K Points||Make one purchase + $1,000 in 3 months||$75||Review|
|Barclaycard JetBlue Plus Card||30K Points||$1,000 in 90 days||$99||Expired|
|Barclaycard CashForwardTM World Mastercard®||$200 Cashback||$1,000 in 90 days||$0||Expired|
|Barclaycard Wyndham Rewards||15K Points||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Barclaycard JetBlue Card||10K Points||$1,000 in 90 days||$0||Expired|
|CarnivalTM World MasterCard®||10K||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card||8K+ 32K Points||Make one purchase+ $1,000 in 90 days||$0||Review|
|Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card||5K Points||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Priceline Rewards™ Visa® Card||5k Points/$50||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Princess Cruises® Rewards Visa Card||5K Princess Points||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Barclaycard Diamond Resorts||2,500 Diamond Plus Points||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Barnes & Noble MasterCard®||$25 Gift Card||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|L.L.Bean Visa® Card||$10 Coupons||Make one purchase||$0||Review|
|Barclaycard Visa® with Apple Rewards Card||Special Financing||Make one purchase||$0||Review|